Saturday, December 18, 2010

And along comes a baby....

Toward the end of the summer of 2009 I found out I was pregnant.  I wasn't really sure how I felt about it, because the situation between my husband and I was tenuous at best.  Maybe this baby will make things better? I was 26 years old, and still unsure of my place in life.  And in hindsight, that was a very dumb place to be.  I was 26 years old, with an excellent job (now at the Grand Traverse Resort), I owned my own home, and had one awesome child already.  But I was full of insecurity, because I chose to listen to my husband more than I would listen to myself.  He was a 36 year old man, with a part time job, who bragged about how he married someone younger so he could retire early and I could support him.

My pregnancy was not easy.  I was sick, I was huge, and I was miserable.  Matt was a bartender and worked late nights, and I spent many of those crying into Magnums fur wondering how I got myself into all of this.  In February of 2000, about two month before I was due, I went into early labor and was put on bed rest.  I was supposed to have help at home, but Matt found more and more excuses to be away.  My bed rest consisted of trying to contain a three year old boy and young dog.... all while staying in bed?

Thankfully at the time, some new neighbors moved in.  Heather, a 10 year old girl, and her parents moved in behind me.  Heather wandered over one day, and met Joe and Magnum.  Thank god for her!  She walked Magnum for me after school, and she would play with Joe.  I couldn't really leave to meet her parents, but I thanked god everyday that she found us.

Finally, after two months of early labor, Shane Alexander was born eight days late on April 9, 2000.  I tried to do all the right things to introduce the new baby to the dog.  The first day, I sent Matt home with the baby hat the the nurse put on Shane when he was born so Magnum could get used to the smell.  When we brought him home, Magnum was intensely curious, but never once jumped or tried to lick him.  I sat in bed nursing him, and Magnum just stared at me from the foot of the bed, sizing him up it seemed.  Then when Shane fell asleep in my arms, I got up and set him down in the bassinette next to my bed.  I gave Magnum a quick pat on the head and said, "This is your baby, too."

Matt and his mom were in the kitchen making dinner, so I went to the kitchen table and sat down.  We chatted for awhile, and then I realized Magnum was nowhere to be found.  Magnum was anywhere if there was food.  I got worried and jumped up and quickly walked back into the bedroom.

There was Magnum... his head rested against the side of the bassinette, watching Shane sleeping.  He glanced at me when I walked in, as if to say, "I got this"  He agreed with me.  This was his baby.  This was his job.  He never left Shanes side after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment