Friday, December 17, 2010

Sleepwalker alert

When Joe, back then known as JR, was little, he was a terrible sleepwalker.  I used to deadbolt the front door and have to make sure all toilet seat lids were down.  When we would visit my moms house, I was especially nervous because there was a full flight if stairs.  More than once, while visiting, I would wake up in the morning to find Joe laying in the middle of the living room floor.  I was told that he would grow out of it, but it was nerve racking none the less!

Shortly after Magnum became part of our lives, he started to really become aware of the little things that went on around the house.  And while I crated Magnum during the day while we were at work, I never crated him at night.  I always wanted him to snuggle in bed with me.  It rarely happened... he would sometimes give me about fifteen minutes before moving on to a more important member of the family.  JR.

If Magnum didn't sleep in bed with JR, he slept in his room near the bed. As one can imagine, the nasty sleepwalking habit would disrupt the poor dogs sleep.  So Magnum must have realized that this little boy shouldn't be wandering around the house in the middle of the night.

I started to wake up to my hand or my nose being licked, followed my some short whining and him standing at the door waiting for me to get up.  Of course, the first few times this happened, I didn't know that this crazy hyper dog was trying to tell me something.  So he would repeat his actions.  Then I would be annoyed because I thought he needed to outside and go potty.  That is when I would try to wake up my husband to take him out.  "It's your dog", he would say before he would roll over and go back to sleep.

Finally I got up, swearing quietly under my breath.  I walked around the bed, and realized Magnum was getting really impatient with me.  I followed him out of the bedroom... and instead of running to front door, he ran to the other side of the house towards JR's bedroom.  Shaking my head, I followed him.  He stood at the bathroom door near the other bedroom and quietly barked.  Confused I walked in to the bathroom to see what he was barking at.... and saw nothing.  He barked again, and grabbed the shower curtain with his teeth. I pulled the shower curtain open to find my tiny little three year old boy sound asleep in the bathtub.

Thanks Magnum!

2 comments:

  1. what a wonderful blog you have! I am so glad to have found you!
    Thanks so much for visiting my blog...I am now your newest follower!
    I bet your Magnum was one incredible dog (I love his name!) Thank you for sharing him with us!
    Cat Chat http://opcatchat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Caren! I just started this blog today, and I appreciate all the followers and feedback that I can get. I love your blog too!!

    ReplyDelete